Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help in sampling
Dear All,

i am new to this thread and seeking your kind help.

Actually i am doing a research project named as 'identification of conflict management styles in selected organization'. the problem is there are eight managers in that organization and i have selected these eight managers and i'll distribute a questionnaire among them to identify different styles and i want to know that what will be the sample of this research project or how to select sample and what sampling technique to use? Also how should i proceed for analysis of this research because i am planning to use the mean as statistical tool for this research.

Your suggestions will be a great help for me.

waiting for your kind responses. Thank you.
I'd say you have a more qualitative or case study approach here than a sample. With a sample the aim is to assess the views of a big population with a small number of cases selected at random. So it could be that your eight managers have been randomly selected to represent all managers in the organisation, but even this would be too few to get statistically reliable data.

If there are only eight managers and you're asking all of them, then you'd have a census and not a sample, and with a small number of cases, you'd be better off with a structured discussion (like a depth interview) as you'll get a much richer data set. You can use scales and mean scores but with such a small group you'd be better off treating each one as a case study drawing comparisons between replies and responses of others.

Saul Dobney
www.dobney.com

(Wed 25 May 2016, 08:14)Saul Dobney Wrote: I'd say you have a more qualitative or case study approach here than a sample. With a sample the aim is to assess the views of a big population with a small number of cases selected at random. So it could be that your eight managers have been randomly selected to represent all managers in the organisation, but even this would be too few to get statistically reliable data.

If there are only eight managers and you're asking all of them, then you'd have a census and not a sample, and with a small number of cases, you'd be better off with a structured discussion (like a depth interview) as you'll get a much richer data set. You can use scales and mean scores but with such a small group you'd be better off treating each one as a case study drawing comparisons between replies and responses of others.

Saul Dobney
www.dobney.com

Thanks for your help...